Sunday, February 24, 2008

I’m back





I got home from my trip early Saturday morning. Because my plane was re-routed, I climbed into bed just before 5:00 a.m. It is really good to be home. Unfortunately Brandon and Katelyn haven’t gotten much bigger while I was gone but I certainly can see developmental progress. They both seem to be better at everything.

While I was gone Brandon had another incident where his heart started racing. The technical term for this is called tachycardia. When it happened before the one thing the doctors told us would be helpful is to catch it on a EKG. Amy called me when it happened and she raced over to the closest hospital emergency room.

Sadly, the choice of hospitals may not have been good. They were very nice and immediately rushed them in. The first sign of trouble came when the man administering the test said that he had never done it on a baby but told Amy not to worry because he had the manual. We have seen this done several times and his placement of the leads was very different than anything we had seen before. He was still able to catch the tachycardia but as soon as he did, he took all the monitors off. The problem is that the doctors really wanted to watch it over a period of time and in particular, see how it ended. He explained that they couldn’t monitor him continuously when he was only checked in as an outpatient and also mentioned that if the doctors saw a continuous problem they would immediately throw him in and ambulance and send him to another hospital because they weren’t equipped to handle it. Needless to say, we didn’t get much information from this trip to the ER.

It can be a concern but the doctors don’t seem overly worried. They have an idea of what is hapening but they would need to see better test results to know. We will keep watching him and see if it happens again. The most disturbing thing is that to help stop it next time, they told us to put a bag of ice on the bridge of his nose and across his face and hold it there for 20-30 seconds. I really hope it doesn’t happen again!

Another interesting incident happened while I was gone. Blake and Derek like playing around on the computer and lately have started doing it when we aren’t around. They got on Amazon (the web browser was left open) and ordered $57 worth of videos. I must say that I’m very impressed with Amazon’s interface. While they recognize letters, they certainly don’t read. I’m also pretty sure that they haven’t watched either Amy or I order anything online. However, they managed to order the movies that they wanted. They also knew what they were doing and clearly explained afterward that they ordered movies and they knew what they had ordered. Amy was able to straighten it out but we are obviously going to be a lot more careful in the future.

No comments: