Monday, February 11, 2008

7 months





Yesterday was the 10th and so Brandon and Katelyn are now 7 months old. It's still weird to think about how old they are. Thier adjusted age is only 4 months old and they are still really small for 4 month old babies.

I guess the lack of sleep is getting to us. We find ourselves falling a sleep a lot. This can cause problems …

A couple of days ago Amy was feeding the babies. The boys had gone to bed and after the babies had finished eating they had all fallen asleep. I had also fallen a sleep sitting on the couch but I was the first to wake up an hour or so later. I finally got my chance to clean up after dinner. I began to prepare a bottle for the next feeding. I boiled some water to sterilize the bottle. I prepared and fortified the milk. I then unsuccessfully tried to wake Amy up. We still had more than an hour until our next feeding so I decided to go upstairs and get something done. I would come down and wake them up when it was time for the babies to eat. I must have fallen asleep.

Amy woke up about 2:00 a.m. She still had both babies on her lap and the room was filled with smoke. She had no idea what was going on so she scooped up the babies and headed upstairs. Because Brandon is attached to monitors it makes this even more difficult than just carrying two babies upstairs. On her way up she was shouting for me but it took a while to actually wake me up. Once I woke up and she explained why she was in such a panic, I immediately guessed why the room was filled with smoke. I had forgotten to turn off the oven that was heating the boiling water.

I opened the doors and turned on the fans. It smelled pretty bad. It took a while to clear out the smoke and the smell. The picture below is what remained of the bottle. Yes, that stuff at the bottom was at one time, a bottle. The next problem was that we only had one of these bottles and it had been the only one that worked really well for Brandon. Amy headed out in the middle of the night to Wal-Mart to find a replacement. Needles to say I have found other ways to clean a bottle and get it sterile for feeding. No more water boiling for me.

This sad part about this story is that we did something very, very similar when Blake and Derek were babies. I can hear the alarm now. It's time for another feeding so I guess I'd better wrap this post up.




1 comment:

nanajan said...

This is Janet Rife - I did the very same thing, heating a bottle on the stove back in 1983 when my now 24-year-old was a baby. We woke up to a house filled with smoke and that awful smell of burnt plastic. Sleep deprivation is real!