Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Katelyn – coming home soon

Brandon is recovering. He still has some challenges. His oxygen needs have increased and he seems to be retaining fluids. All of these things are expected but it feels like a big step back because we have already gone through all of this. There aren’t any real problems. We will just have to watch him.

Our frustrations with Brandon have been because of other challenges. They moved him once again. This must be a record because it is his 8th bed space. They also had nurses take care of him that didn’t know him well and information wasn’t being passed on. For example, we know that his urine might be green because of some dye they used during surgery but the nurse had no idea. The hard part is that the nurses all still think they know what is going on. The good news is that he has one of his primary nurses today and he should be well covered for the next couple of days.

Amy has spent that last couple of nights at the hospital with Katelyn. She drops in at home for a while during the day but the boys and I still miss her. She has been feeding Katelyn throughout the night. The current plan is that I need to be at the hospital this afternoon to learn about how to use the equipment Katelyn will need when she comes home. Amy and I will spend the night and make sure we can do everything on our own. If everything goes well, she will be released from the hospital in the morning.

We have a weird mix of Jubilation and fear. We won’t have a lot of the monitors and daily tests that we have become accustom to. I’m sure I will be paranoid all night long. We will also have a new set of challenges as we have one baby at home that needs a lot of care and can’t be exposed to many people because of your weak immune system and at the same time Amy will need to begin to feed Brandon soon. We will work everything out. Even with the fear, our little girl is finally coming home!

2 comments:

staci said...

I know you don't have time to read comments, but I just had to write and say I am so happy Katelyn is coming home- I'm getting all teary eyed just thinking about it. Yeah!

Kathie Turnert said...

My Granddaughter is going home! I am so happy for all of you. Just wish I could help out somehow. I'm confident Brandon will come along now that he's had the surgery. He just has to recover.

Congratulations, Brent and Amy. One more to get through NICU and you can then be about the business of living at home! (scary as it may be, I doubt you would hesitate to get anything checked out that seemed out of the ordinary)

Love to all six of you;
Mom
Mammaw (Slief) Turner