Monday, January 21, 2008

Still busy





It has been a long time since I posted an update. I have good intentions but, as you may guess, we are very busy. I was really excited this weekend because I found time to take out the trash and change most of the light bulbs that had burnt out. Of course there is still a big list of things that we should still do but a lot of the items on our list get put off until later. Unfortunately this Blog has been a part of the do-it-later list.

I also haven’t taken many pictures or video lately. I know we are going to regret this later, but it is hard to find time. It seems like the only time we think about taking pictures are when the kids are asleep. You will notice that in all of this week’s pictures the babies are asleep. I will work hard to make sure that this changes for my next post.

Katelyn continues to do really well. She’s very vivacious and she is generally a really good baby. She smiles a lot and often gets so excited that she can’t control her arms and legs. She just beams with happiness. Her smile and happy noises are very charming. However, when she gets mad she really gets mad. Her cry can sound loud and very, very angry.

Brandon is still getting adjusted to his glasses. When he is calm, he actually seems to like them. The problem is that lately, when he is upset he resorts to shaking his head back and forth and thrashing his hands around his face. This does all kinds of bad things to his glasses. He also pulls tubes and causes a lot of problems. The problem is that when he is in one of these moods, it’s hard to walk away and do anything else. When he pulls his canula out, he can’t breathe. This can make feedings in the night really hard to do. I can’t go get his medication or warm his milk because I can’t walk away from him. He has been doing this a lot lately. I think that he is just reacting to his bad gas. He certainly has a lot of gas and he often dirties his pants more than once during a feeding. The poor guy must be in a lot of pain. It’s still incredibly frustrating when he keeps making things worse and I feel like I’m wrestling him to get his oxygen re-connected.

When he isn’t having gas problems, he is very sweet and gentle. I’m getting used to his glasses and I now think they give him a lot of personality. He too is very charming but it is for a totally different reason. His calm smile and his stare of wonder can also seem to melt everyone but he certainly isn’t as full-of-energy as Katelyn.

Brandon is eating really well in general. In fact, a couple of days ago we thought that we were close to getting rid of his NG (feeding) tube. The problem is that despite his good nursing and bottle feedings, he isn’t growing like he should. He also seems to have good days and bad days.

Luckily neither baby has shown any signs of being sick. Both Blake and Derek have seemed to make a full recovery but now Amy is very sick. Is seems different and more severe than what Blake and Derek have. Amy is forced to wear a mask around and wash her hands a lot. She just went to the doctor today and hopefully the medication she got will help her make a quick recovery. She is doing so much and feeling so badly. I just wish there was more I could do.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Amy, sorry to hear you're so sick. I hope you are feeling better soon. All of yoru kiddos are adorable! We think of you and pray for you often!

love, liz